Thursday, August 17, 2006

Herbal Renewal

Since I am a condiment addict, this is the time of year I just love. With my garden overflowing with fresh summer herbs and vegetables, I am at the ready with a variety of sauces to fill up my refrigerator and grace my meals.

When I look at my dill, with its filigreed leaves waving in the breeze, I don’t just see dillweed, I see a homemade horseradish sauce.

That spreading mint among the gladioli will make a fine tzatziki sauce. Tickling my abundant parsley, I’m not just admiring the bright green leaves, I’m thinking about the chimichurri sauce I can make with it.

Not only is my herb and vegetable garden home to fresh summer herbs, I have them potted and residing on my deck and patio. Later on, when the air turns chilly in the evenings, I’ll bring them indoors to extend their growing season. I have plans for some of that rosemary doing so well now.

I think of my herbs as a growing investment from which I can reap the dividends.

Oh, I could go on and on about the merits of growing fresh herbs, but I’d much rather use this space to share some recipes with you.


Horseradish Sauce
This sauce is amazing with roast beef or as a dipping sauce with crudités.

2/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh or prepared grated horseradish
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill

Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and mix until well blended. Allow the mixture to sit for 15 to 20 minutes to blend the flavors. Makes about 2/3 cup.


Tzatziki Sauce
This sauce is a staple in Greece. Serve with lamb burgers on pita bread or as an accompaniment to hummus and baba ganouj.

1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cups plain yogurt
1/2 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Lightly salt the grated cucumber, place in a colander or strainer, and set aside to drain for half an hour. In a bowl, combine the drained cucumbers with the remaining ingredients. Chill for 30 minutes before serving. Makes about 1 cup.


Moroccan Charmoula
This is an all-purpose spicy cilantro pesto. Traditionally served with fish and seafood, you can also use it as a marinade, or as a fresh sauce over baked and grilled fish, chicken and vegetables. There is no set recipe for charmoula; the blend of spices and herbs may vary. However, it always contains cilantro, olive oil, and lemon.

1 cup lightly packed cilantro, leaves and stems
5 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil

Place all ingredients, except vinegar and oil, in a blender or food processor and pulse to coarsely chop. With the motor running, slowly add the vinegar and enough of the oil to make a thick paste. Start with ¼ cup oil and add more to get the desired consistency.

Allow the sauce to sit for 20 to 30 minutes to blend the flavors. This sauce will keep for up to 1 month in the refrigerator. Makes about 1/2 cup.


Tomato-Mint Pasta Sauce
Serve this over the cooked pasta of your choice. With tomatoes ripening in the garden as we speak, this quick and easy recipe is perfect for late summer.

3 shallots or 1/2 red onion, minced
½ pounds fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 handful of fresh mint leave, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Grated zest of 1 lemon, for garnish

Put the shallots and tomatoes in a large skillet, bring to a simmer, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the mint, salt and pepper. Toss hot drained pasta with the sauce and garnish with grated lemon zest. Serves 4.

No comments: