Thursday, June 16, 2005

Down the Rabbit-Hole

I wonder if my parents felt the same sort of detachment from popular culture at that juncture in their lives as I now do.

I like to think of myself of fairly hip, but as I was watching TV the other night, everything seemed to be too loud and too fast for me.

Everyone is too wired, or actually wireless, to me. Cell phones, IPods, laptops. They’re talking about servers a lot in commercials, and they don’t mean waiters.
I have a computer, I surf the net, watch the news, listen to music, yet I feel somewhat out of step and disconnected to the mainstream.

Is this how my parents felt when rock ‘n roll took hold, and houses became homes to microwaves and cable television?

Recently, my daughter emailed and asked me to make a music CD for her. There wasn’t anyone on her list that I had heard of. The Ying Yang Twins, Gucci Mane, Pitbull, Bow Wow. If my daughter hadn’t told me these were singers, I would have thought her new interest was the Westminster Kennel Club.

Between the Christian far right, and Republican anti-everything (except oil and war), cell phones, and The Ying Yang Twins, I feel like a stranger in a strange land.
When I run into people I know, I find myself asking if they feel the same way. I’m looking for reassurance that the situation extends far wider than my itty bitty crcle.

Last night I shut the TV on a show that pretty much was a bunch of people yelling at each other. I sat down and opened up Alice in Wonderland. Maybe her story wasn’t a dream after all.

Alice’s Heart-Shape Cornmeal Biscuits
Perfect for that mad tea-party or picnic. No cell phones allowed.
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
2/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Sugar and cornmeal for sprinkling

In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, the 3/4 cup cornmeal, the 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add lemon peel. Make a well in the center of dry mixture; set aside. In a small mixing bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla; add to dry mixture all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead by folding and pressing gently for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut dough with a floured 2-inch heart-shape biscuit or cookie cutter, dipping the cutter into flour between cuts.

Arrange biscuits so they are just touching on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar and cornmeal. Bake in a 400° oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet; serve warm. Makes 12 to 15 biscuits.

No comments: