Thursday, June 30, 2005

I had a great title, but I forgot what it was.

I once read that as we age our brain cells die progressively at an alarming rate. Lately I can attest to that. The world around me has become increasingly puzzling. On a firsthand basis, I have made observations as to which brain cells die first.

1. The brain cells that control operating electronic equipment are the first to go. Just the other night I wanted to record a program on TV while I watched another. I sat staring at the remote. What do I have to do first?

“First I have to turn the TV to channel 3, then I have to find the VCR/DVD remote and turn it on, then I have to push the set up button, then I have to find out when the program starts and ends and then I have to push the timer button. Where is that tiny button?” I muttered to myself while fumbling with the remote control. If my daughter was around, she would have grabbed the remote, pressed a bunch of buttons with lightening speed and then handed it back to me everything all set.

2. The next brain cells to go are the ones that tell you what you are doing at the bottom of the stairs or at the top as the case may be. I spend half my day retracing steps so I can recall just what it was I came down the steps to get or do.

(This is cutting into my time of trying to remember where I put my coffee cup, store receipt, address book, camera, or car.)

3. Next to go is short term memory. This results in losing courses during dinner preparation and serving. This morning my husband went to heat up a muffin in the microwave and found last night’s green beans in a delightful basil and vinegar sauce.

4. The last brain cells to go are those that prioritize. In the last 10 years, my priorities have changed from pleasure, career, family, to career, family, pleasure and as we speak family, pleasure, career. This became evident as I recently shopped for a new car. As I sat across the desk from the car sales clerk I asked, “What are the safety features of this car?”

“It has a stereo with six speakers,” he told me.

“But does it have side air bags?” I asked again.

“There’s a switch on the cassette that boosts the bass,” he responded to some other imagined question.

“Yes, but I want to know if it’s a safe car.” I asked again.

“Oh, you want to know the safety features. Well, the car seats are treated with stain repellent,” he replied enthusiastically.

If you spot me driving down Main Street blasting my stereo, please excuse me and refer to item number 4, or was it number 3, of my list. And when you prepare the following recipe make a mental note to yourself to remove the dish from the microwave.

Potatoes Boulangere
If you have leftovers, these make great home fries the next morning.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons beef broth
2 unpeeled large (1 1/2 pounds) russet potato, scrubbed well and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 medium onions, sliced thin
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a 2-cup glass measure, combine the butter and the broth and microwave the mixture at high power (100%) for 1 minute, or until the butter is melted. In a medium microwave-safe bowl or casserole arrange one third of the potato slices, drained, in one layer, top them with one third of the onion slices, and layer the remaining vegetable slices in the same manner. Pour the butter mixture over the potato mixture and sprinkle the top with the salt and pepper to taste. Microwave the mixture, three fourths covered with microwave-safe plastic wrap, at high power (100%) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Serves 4.

No comments: