Thursday, June 09, 2005

Save the whales

Yesterday, I received an email asking for my help. Apparently, the world’s last undisturbed gray whale birthing ground in Mexico is being threatened by plans for industrialization, oil and gas drilling, and high-rise hotels.

Since the last presidential election, responsibility has been placed in my hands to save the Democratic Party, put Tom DeLay in jail, and save the Alaskan wildlife from, well, to put it mildly, ignorance.

Throw in stem cell research, social security, the tsunami in Indonesia, and nuclear proliferation and I am looking at many sleepless nights.

I get mail from John Kerry, Robert Kennedy, Jr., and Hilary Clinton. I have tried to explain to them that I am just one person and there is just so much I can do. But, the mail keeps coming.

As soon as one issue seems to get resolved, another one surfaces. I have tried writing to my congressman, but either he is unaware of any problems, or he just giggles at my concerns. He thinks a whale is a fish that goes well with chardonnay.

I’m beside myself with worry. Actually, if I were beside myself I would get twice as much done with half the amount of worrying.

I’m thinking of forwarding these calls for help to some of my friends. As my congressman says, we have to keep stem cells alive and nuclear proliferation going.

Jerk Chicken
For the marinade:
2 cups finely chopped scallion
2 Scotch bonnet or habañero chilies, seeded, and minced (wear rubber gloves)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
5 teaspoons ground allspice
3 teaspoons dry mustard
2 bay leaves, center ribs discarded and the leaves crumbled
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
1 teaspoon cinnamon

5 pounds chicken parts, the wing tips discarded
Vegetable oil for brushing the grill

Make the marinade: In a food processor or blender purée the scallion, 2 chilies, soy sauce, lime juice, allspice, dry mustard, bay leaves, garlic, salt, sugar, thyme, and cinnamon.

Divide the chicken parts between 2 heavy-duty resealable plastic bags and spoon the marinade over them, coating them well. Seal the bags, pressing out the excess air, and let the chicken marinate, chilled, turning the bags over several times, for at least 24 hours and up to 2 days.

On an oiled rack set 4 to 6 inches over glowing coals grill the chicken, in batches if necessary, and covered if possible, for 10 to 15 minutes on each side, or until it is cooked through. Transfer the chicken as it is cooked with tongs to a heated platter; keep it warm, covered loosely with foil. Serves 10.

No comments: