Thursday, March 23, 2006

Kitchen Alchemy

Browsing through a store last week, I came upon a great find: miniature wire-bail (swing-top) canning jars. I’m always on the look-out for sweet little jars to hold dried herbs and spices. These miniature wire-bail jars are perfect for holding spice blends.

I already have every conceivable spice and dried herb, so it’s a waste of money to buy blends when I could mix up my own from what’s on hand.

In the warm months, I grow many herbs, many of which I am able to pot up and take inside for the cold months. The basil is looking forlorn about now, but I’m still able to use it fresh.

The rosemary is doing great, and I’ve been able to get to the parsley by uncovering it in the snow-laden herb garden. All the other herbs grown in the summer are dried in the fall for winter use.

I fill in the gaps of what herbs I don’t have by buying them and spices dried.

I really encourage you to make your own dried herb and spice blends. I feel like an alchemist in the kitchen when I’ve got my jars of spices lined up with my measuring spoons.

Many of these blends have as many variations as there are cooks who use them. I generally use the classic versions, however all are open to interpretation.

For the most aromatic result, start with whole seeds and berries. If you’re ambitious, you can grind the spices with a mortar and pestle or use an electric coffee grinder. I generally take the short cut and use the ground spices on hand when I can.

One spice blend that I use most often is curry powder. You might think that curry powder is just the grind of one spice, curry. Alas, though there is a curry plant, it is an aromatic herb and not a spice used in this blend.

Curry powder is in fact a blend of spices, varying according to regional preferences. As a result, there are literally, thousands of “curry powders.”

There is sweet curry, hot curry (Madras), Maharajah-style curry, Balti seasoning, Garam Masala, Tandoori seasoning, Rogan Josh and Vindaloo seasoning.

Curry Powder
I like my curry hot, so I use the Madras curry blend. To maximize flavor, dry-roast the whole spices in a hot pan over low heat before grinding them. To make this curry milder, eliminate the dry-roasting.

2 teaspoons turmeric, ground
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
12 cloves, whole
1- 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1- 1/2 teaspoons fenugreek
1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
1 teaspoon chili powder, ground

Grind all ingredients to a coarse powder in a coffee mill, or follow tradition by using a mortar and pestle. In a small bowl combine ingredients. Spoon into a tightly-lidded jar and store in a cool, dark place. Makes about 1/3 cup.

Herbes de Provence
This blend consists of the herbs commonly grown in the southern region of France. The mixture varies according to the availability of the herbs. This herb blend is most often used with roasted or grilled meat and poultry dishes.

3 tablespoons dried marjoram
3 tablespoons dried thyme
3 tablespoons dried summer savory
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds

In a small bowl combine ingredients. Spoon into a tightly-lidded jar and store in a cool, dark place. Makes about 3/4 cup.

Bam Creole Essence
Use on grilled meat, poultry and fish. Or sprinkle on any cooked food when you want a kick.

2- 1/4 tablespoons paprika
1 to 2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

In a small bowl combine ingredients. Spoon into a tightly-lidded jar and store in a cool, dark place. Makes about 2/3 cup.

Italian Seasoning
I use this in soups, stews, tomato sauce, and over salads and pizzas.
2 tablespoons dried basil
2 tablespoons dried marjoram
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried sage

In a small bowl combine ingredients. Spoon into a tightly-lidded jar and store in a cool, dark place. Makes about 1/2 cup.

A few tips on storing dried herbs and spices:
• Tightly close containers after using what you need to keep the fresh aroma from escaping.
• Do not put a wet spoon into a jar of dried herbs or spices or shake out contents over a steaming pot. You will introduce moisture into the container, which hastens deterioration and may make the herbs and spices moldy.
• Do not store them in the refrigerator.
• As a general rule, you will need 3 to 4 times more fresh herbs than dried. Keep that in mind when substituting fresh for dried and dried for fresh.

No comments: