Thursday, March 09, 2006

Serving Memories

Some time ago, I was invited to new friends’ one evening. When I arrived, and after all the handshakes and kisses were exchanged, the host said hors d’oeuvres would be ready in a few minutes.

The oven timer buzzed and he took out a tray of English muffin pizzas, and I thought, “I really like these people.”

Oh sure, there’s sushi, and fussy canapés, and the ever-present hummus dip (which I do love), but sometimes there is just nothing like an English muffin pizza.

I couldn’t find the exact origin and time that English muffin pizzas first made their appearance, but I recall making them when I was a teenager; that would make their debut in the 1960s or 1970s. If anyone knows the answer to this query, please let me know.

I actually found recipes online for making English muffin pizzas, as if one needed specific instructions. Although, to be fair, there is one step in the creation of these tasty concoctions that might be skipped: the toasting of the muffin before layering the sauce and cheese.

Now, I used to just pop the halves in the toaster to lightly toast them. However, recipes say to place the halves cut side down on a baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted, and then place the layers on the untoasted side.

There’s also debate as to the state of the mozzarella cheese before broiling. I have found that if you slice the cheese and place it over the sauce the whole slice comes away with the first bite leaving you with an English muffin spread with tomato sauce.

Therefore, I grate the mozzarella and sprinkle it on top of the sauce and it’s just perfect. And perfect it really is: a wondrous little snack of muffin, cheese, and tomato sauce so nice and hot.

In lieu of English muffins, you could use split pita bread or flat bread, but it’s just not the same. You could even make them ultra miniature by using crackers, slices of baguette, or Melba toast rounds.

I made a very interesting canapé recently using grated apple and cheddar mixed with a little mayonnaise and mustard and then placed on Melba toast rounds and broiled briefly.

Now that I think of it, though, with all the grating, mixing, broiling, and serving them quickly before they cool, I would have done better had I served English muffin pizzas.

English Muffin Pizzas
4 English muffins split in half
1/3 cup marinara sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Dried oregano to taste

Place muffins, cut side down, on a baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted. Spread the cut side of the muffins with marinara sauce and season with oregano. Top with the shredded mozzarella. Return muffins to broilers for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Serves 4.

Sweet Pear and Gorgonzola Crostini
16 slices baguette, cut 1/2-inch thick
4 ounces Gorgonzola or bleu cheese, crumbled
1 small ripe pear, cored and sliced very thin
2 tablespoons honey

Preheat broiler. Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Broil 4 or 5 inches from the heat for 30 to 60 seconds or until bread is lightly toasted. Turn each bread slice, and top with some of the Gorgonzola. Broil 30 to 60 seconds more or until cheese is bubbly and bread is toasted. Top each bread slice with a pear slice, and drizzle with a little bit of honey. Serve at once. Makes 16 appetizers. Now wouldn’t it be easier to make English muffin pizzas?

No comments: