Thursday, June 01, 2006

All Aboard

Under the pretense of cutting my lawn, astride the lawn tractor I’m able to go on a tour of my property. Unless I made a conscious effort to walk every bit of the 2 acres of lawn, gardens, and perimeter of field and woods, I wouldn’t get to see what’s what.

I notice a few very large anthills during my ride. They’ve been there for years. They don’t house the same ants as 10 years ago, but the hills are still there; sort of like underground condos with new tenants. Actually, the average life expectancy of an ant is 2 months.

The sumac trees at the edge of the woods keep coming, no matter how many times I cut them down. I should probably give up. The berries of the sumac are medicinal when steeped in a tea. The Native Americans made a drink from them that tasted like lemonade and was high in vitamin C.

I noticed that the lily of the valley is spreading. Somehow, it jumped over the driveway and is growing amidst the Chinese lanterns. That’s fine. I love their aroma, and they grow in deepest shade where other plants, except weeds of course, will not. They were my mother’s favorite flower, as well.

I also have favorite spots along my ride. I don’t know why I’m so attracted to these places; something about them pleases me so. There’s that spot where a short stonewall ends away into a little slope. If I had tried to purposely create it, I couldn’t have done as well.

There’s another spot behind the large blue spruce, totally shaded from view. It’s a little circular area and above it are wild vines reaching across the trees to make a protective cover and a natural gazebo. There’s nothing to mow there, but I ride over there anyway just to see it.

The large locust tree is where the girls had their first swing. There’s an old rubber toy discarded at its base, faded, but not forgotten. I’ve left it there and love to come upon it when I mow; it brings back wonderful memories.

It takes close to two hours to mow the lawn, but I don’t mind. I catch up on daydreams, I catch the breeze, enjoy the sun and shade depending on the season, and check out the new growth from both the plants and myself.

Szechuan Ants Climb A Tree
Clear bean-thread noodles (also called cellophane noodles) are dressed with a spicy sauce and flecked with bits of pork. Hence the “ants” of this classic Chinese recipe.

Marinade:
3/4-pound ground pork
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

6 ounces bean-thread noodles (cellophane noodles)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes or to taste
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons sherry (optional)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

Marinate the pork: In a small bowl, combine the pork gently with the vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Marinate for 20 minutes.

In a bowl, soak the noodles in warm water to cover for 15 minutes, drain, and cut them into 3- to 4-inch lengths.

In a wok or large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until it just begins to smoke. Stir-fry 1/4 cup of the scallions, the garlic, and ginger for 30 seconds.

Add the pork and the red pepper flakes and stir-fry the mixture, breaking up the lumps, until the meat is no longer pink.

Add the noodles, broth, sherry, soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the noodles have absorbed the liquid.

Transfer the mixture to a platter, drizzle it with the sesame oil and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup scallions. Serves 4 to 6.

No comments: